Teaching & Music

Our music and teaching is not produced for the masses, its hand crafted for the few.  Being smaller gives us permission to explore the possibilities and advantages of size.  Scripture is surprisingly positive about small things. After all, God’s kingdom comes like a tiny seed buried in the ground.

Teaching

Lead Pastor Brian Culbertson teaches 80% of the time.  On the other 20%, in keeping with our organic approach, other leaders and members of the congregation serve our church sharing.  Regardless of who is at the “pulpit” the teaching will be straight from Bible (expository, verse by verse) and will always point to Jesus.  We avoid politics or getting too far off into the weeds of non-essentials.  Instead, our teaching focuses on grace and mercy, and its implications for our lives.  That doesn’t mean we don’t push the envelope and ask deep questions.  We explore doubt, grief, addiction, psychology, sociology, love, life, death and everything in between.

Sample of Teaching

Music

Refuge has a rotation of worship leaders and band members with our music ranging from simple acoustic sets to full band experiences. There are no fog machines or light shows.  We don’t use backing tracks.  Everything is 100% organic and live.  Our worship isn’t catered to any single age group or ethnicity.  We attempt to create an honest environment where everyone has opportunity to use words and music to worship their King.

Sample of Music

Spoken Word Poetry